Thursday, November 22, 2012

Shedding the burdens of the world, in favor of the burdens of Christ

Shedding the burdens of the world, in favor of the burdens of Christ

S - Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)
28 Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

O -  We who are weary are to come to Jesus and exchange the yoke of the world for the yoke of Jesus. The yoke while it come with some load to bear, Jesus promises his yoke is easy.  And with his yoke upon us he can gently guide us and lead us out of our weariness and away from our burdens.  When Jesus came to earth he was drawing all near to him, so they could all draw near the Father who is in heaven.  Our original design was to be under the Father's gentle yoke, but because of sin we have been separated and picked up our own yoke and continued to add over the days and years to our own burden.  We can now turn back, repent, and come to Jesus who restores us.

A - The application for me is to recognize, that I am not just to let go of the burdens of this world, which I see sometimes as the responsibilities I have accumulated over time, but rather to truly seek to come to Jesus, listen to and be led by him, and put on the yoke he gives me, that I might carry the burden he has designed me to carry, because it is easy to be led by his yoke than that of the worlds. His burden is there, but it is light.  I might shed myself of burdens that I placed on my self, and only carry those that he has placed on me, like being a good husband,  raising and loving my children, and sharing his love with those he places in my life.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would continue to lead me with your gentle yoke, making obvious the burdens you intend for me and helping me shed the burdens I or the world has placed on me.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment