Monday, November 5, 2018

Seek the favor of God, not man

Seek the favor of God, not the favor of man
S - Galatians 1 NASB
10For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
Paul Defends His Ministry

O-        Paul writes this to the church at Galatia as he is calling them out that they have received the one true Gospel of Christ, and that he is about to rebuke them for departing from the true gospel for one that is reshaped by men’s thoughts.   Later on in this chapter Paul explains that He received the Gospel through revelation and not through man,  and that over the years he has fought to keep the Gospel pure, not influenced by the old Jewish  traditions, or man’s desires.  In his early years in the faith he did not even confer with the Apostles for many years but simply the truth of what Christ revealed to him.   I imagine Paul’s experience on the road to Damascus had a lifetime of impact.  When Christ met him and revealed to him the truth of the Gospel he revealed to him many truths of the kingdom of God that brought great clarity to Paul.  Some might say that his revelations in that time was even greater than that of the Apostles who walked 3 years with Jesus.   While their experience of who Jesus was on earth, and their practical understanding of the ministry was powerful,  Paul’s understanding of the scripture, followed by his revelation of Christ was significant as it came to reaching the entire world (Gentiles) with the Gospel.  

A -  This scripture impressed on me the fragility of my own faith and commitment to the Gospel.  I am just as easily influenced by men over time as the church at Galatia may have been.  In the season of this last year I have made it through a trial period in which I have personally grown as a leader but may have regressed as a follower of Christ.  I find myself on the other end thinking about the pleasing of men in my career and worrying about their thoughts as I think about my future.  I am reminded I have given my life to Christ as a servant of the God.   I need only to submit to Him, and trust in his direction to me.

P - Dear Heavenly Father thank you for this lesson and reminder today.  I am sorry I have wasted so much time worrying about what others think or even what I think about my reputation or my future.  I submit myself to you for you to use for your purposes.   I pray that you continue to give me an opportunity to lead in the Navy and shipyard business, and that if it your will that I one day lead Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, that you guide me an prepare me to do so in a way that honors you, and serves the people in the shipyard and in Hawaii. 


No comments:

Post a Comment