Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Led by the spirit, not by my flesh

Led by the Spirit not by the flesh
S- Galatians 5 NASB
16But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

O -  Paul is speaking to the church at Galatia who is finding themselves being drawn back to the Jewish tradition of circumcision and the law.  He knows that the way of the law is one in which man has fallen short of being able to within his own flesh stay obedient to the covenant that circumcision represents.  But there is a new covenant with Christ, one that doesn’t rely on man but instead relies on God’s grace and Christ’s redemption and substitution for our sin.  The lesson is that we are not to live by our own flesh but  by the Spirit of God that is in us.   It is what will enable us to resist the immorality that our flesh often desires.  The spirit of God in us will allow us to despite external circumstances to response with fruit of the spirit,  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.

A -  The application for me is to remember to stay in tune with the Holy Spirit in me and know that my reactions should be led by this spirit, and not my flesh.   I know that this will be my challenge as situations become stressful at home or at work,  but I am committed to dig deep inside and seek the Lord’s spirit in me,  to delay the response of my flesh, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide me.  


P -  Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this reminder to continue to allow your Holy Spirit to speak to me and guide my hands, heart, and mind.   I pray Lord that you help me to stay open to hearing your spirit, and avoid the inclines of my flesh.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment