Saturday, November 24, 2018

Enter into life

Enter into life
S-Matt 19 NASB
16And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL; YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS; 19HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” 20The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property. 23And Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24“Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 25When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, “Then who can be saved?” 26And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

O- There is a lot here to to unpack as a person just like me came to Jesus, he had been listening to and likely following Jesus’ ministry from afar.   He gathered the courage to ask Jesus what is there that he should do to earn eternal life.   “What good thing..”.   Was the precise thing that caused Jesus to react for he knew there was no act that earns eternal life, but living within God’s laws is the good thing that gives you good life,  following Christ is what gives you eternal life.   Both are then and today.

A-    The application convicts me and is a reminder that I am not to seek good works to earn eternal life, but I am to follow God’s word because it is the key to a good life.   I am to follow Christ because he saved me, and have shown me love and mercy.  Out of this my broken heart has been healed and I know have the capability to love those he has put in front of me.  I am reminded today that I have been saved to serve and love those Christ is trying to reach.  I have to beware the stumbling block of the rich man, that my wealth and treasures on earth might not get in the way of my following Christ.

P-  Lord I thank your for your word and your reminder, that as I sit here very comfortably in your provision that you have a mission for me.  Lord I am sorry if in anyway money or things have gotten in the way of me following you.  I pray that you help me in my impatience to understand what I am to do with this gift of time and abundance.  I pray all this in Jesus name.  


No comments:

Post a Comment