Monday, December 4, 2017

Gifted and equipped for equipping the church for the work of service

Gifted and Equipped to equip the saints for the work of service
S -  Ephesians 4
7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore it says, “When He ascended on high, He led captive a host of captives, And He gave gifts to men.” 9 (Now this expression, “He ascended,” what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.) 11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

O - Paul here is speaking to the church at Ephesus and trying to help them understand their role and their gifts as a result of them being members of the body of Christ. It appears to me the difference between the old testament Israelites who rightfully believe they descended from Abraham who had made a covenant with God, but only represent God as a group of people. In the New Testament Church, a.k.a. the body of Christ, the body  is God incarnate here on earth through their acceptance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. In this sense they are not a group of individuals descended from Abraham, and held together by a convenant that Abraham made with God, they are members of one body anointed  and gifted by God for one purpose, held together by one Spirit, the Holy Spirit. Paul speaks much to the Ephesians about achieving unity of faith, knowledge and stature with respect to who Jesus Christ is.

A - The application for me is to understand I am also a member of the body of Christ. I have through devotions and experienced determined I am exactly as Paul writes in verse 12 gifted for the equipping of the Saints for the work of service. My life‘s application is to recognize that is what God has called me to do today, at work , At home, and certainly in the body of Christ, the Church.


P - Dear heavenly father thank you for your daily gift of your wisdom and spirit through your word. I thank you for today’s devotion and pray Lord that it would be sealed to my heart forever. I pray Lord that you continue to equip me and gift me in my calling, that you will continue to show me how and who to spend my time equipping for the work of the service on to your church and to your people. I pray this in Jesus Christ name amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment