Friday, December 8, 2017

Character criteria for being a leader


Character criteria to be a leader

S- 1 Timothy 3
Overseers and Deacons
1 It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. 4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), 6 and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

O - Paul  here is speaking to Timothy about the leaders of the church. This is the criteria for overseers and deacons in the church. He likely felt it necessary to speak on this topic because like in all things in this world people fall short.  Likely in this case some of the leaders in the church of Ephesus May have been inappropriately leading the congregation, and in Paul’s assessment it was due to them lacking one of the character traits for being overseer.   The list of course is comprehensive and sufficient to catch the character of the type of person who is called and should be challenged to be an overseer.

A-The application for me is simply to look in the mirror. While the topic is about being an overseer in the church, I recognize God has giving me the position of overseer at home and in the workplace as well. Therefore the criteria applies to me as well though I do not hold a position of overseer in the church, I play a role in leading gods people starting with my family and those in the workplace he is called me to lead. As God shines a light on these criteria and I look in the mirror at myself I see myself falling short in in in a few areas which through God’s grace is becoming my heart felt passion to be better today than I was yesterday, I need to work on the following:

  1. Being temperate
  2. Being gentle
  3. Being peaceable


P -dear heavenly father thank you Lord for today’s devotion made be sealed to my heart. I pray that your Holy Spirit your word to those around me lord you would help me to shake my heart mind and soul to be more temperate gentle and peaceable with those that are in my life. Lord I confess I do not know how to do it by myself I can only do it with you. I pray all this in Jesus Christ name amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment