Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Take advice from wise elders, be wary of youthful misdirection

S 2CH 10:8-11 NASB

But he forsook the counsel of the elders which they had given him, and consulted with the young men who grew up with him and served him. So he said to them, "What counsel do you give that we may answer this people, who have spoken to me, saying, 'Lighten the yoke which your father put on us'?" The young men who grew up with him spoke to him, saying, "Thus you shall say to the people who spoke to you, saying, 'Your father made our yoke heavy, but you make it lighter for us.' Thus you shall say to them, 'My little finger is thicker than my father's loins! Whereas my father loaded you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke; my father disciplined you with whips, but I will discipline you with scorpions.'"

O - This was one of the sons of Solomon who was trying to take leadership of the nation of Israel after Solomon.  He was the less wise and humble.   He sought wise counsel, from the elders who had advised his father, but when what they advised had not matched he desire and hope, he sought advice from the younger generation of men he grew up with.  He did not head wise advice but sought advice from fools.

A -  The application for me is to understand as a leader I will face similar temptations to want to seek the advice of the young energetic youth .   Their passion and relevance is always intoxicating because they have the energy and perspective of the deckplate,  however, wisdom does not always guide their actions and words.  As leaders we must seek the wise counsel of wise men,  while also understanding the current reality of those we lead. 

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray that you would help me to be the leader that you are calling me to be.  I pray all this in Jesus name,  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment