Sunday, June 22, 2014

Guarding my family against false teaching

S 1 Timothy 4:1-5 NASB

But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

1TI 4:7-10 NASB

But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness; for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. It is a trustworthy statement deserving full acceptance. For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

O - Paul's instruction here to Timothy comes from both wisdom of experience and discernment of God's will for the Church.    When I say will, it is to expose the fact that what Paul is stating is both happening and will happen more in the future.   Those who come to faith will fall away,   they will listen to things of the world,  stories bound in the cultural norms of the society.   The local church is to understand that and to self regulate.  Each individual is to read and head the warning.

A - For me this is a warning for me and my family,  especially my daughters who I am raising up to walk in God's ways.  This warning says despite how I manage the environment in which my girls grow up in,  there will be deceitful teachings, spirits, and cultures that they ultimately will be exposed to.   I must teach them to focus on choosing everything that comes from God, through his word and through prayer.   They can hear see and experience many things but must learn to filter and receive only that which comes from God.   They may be entertained by fables of the world, but they must not  be conformed by it.    I and they need to strive and labor to maintain the foundation that was layed by Christ in our lives.

P - Dear heavenly father, thank you for Jesus.  I thank you that your finished work is in my family.  I pray Lord for the wisdom, courage, and strength to lead myself and my family.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment