Friday, February 26, 2010

Leadership principle: releasing resources

Leadership principle:  releasing resources
S-  Mark 5:16-20 (NASB)
  Those who had seen it described to them how it had happened to the demon-possessed man, and all about the swine.
 17And they began to implore Him to leave their region.
 18As He was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed was imploring Him that he might accompany Him.
 19And He did not let him, but He said to him, "Go home to your people and report to themwhat great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had mercy on you."
 20And he went away and began to proclaim in Decapolis what great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed.
O -  What a great leader Jesus was.   He was strategic thinker and not a resource hoarder.  What I see in this situation where he had ministered to the man with the legion demons in him, and the man out of pure thankfulness and love for Jesus wanted to follow him and serve  Him.  As a leader there is no one greater you could look for to have on your team than someone with this kind of enthusiasm and dedication.  If it were me, I would have been tempted to take the man on my team, knowing how committed he would be, and what a great help to me and my mission would be.  But Jesus being the strategic thinker He was, knew He personally couldn't go everywhere and stay for along time.  He needed to be planting the seeds like this man, in various communities who will proclaim the testimony and point people to Him.   Rather than have His ministry limited by how much He physically could do, and travel to, he began spreading the roots throughout various communities through the individual life's he affected.
A - There are many lessons to gather from this story relative to leadership and ministry.
1.  First - if you want to see your ministry grow,  you need to be able to discern where the Father wants you to work, and whose life you want to impact.  Ultimately God is and can be far more strategic than you can, He simply has the bigger picture that we will never get our heads around.
2. Second - be a strategic thinker -  many times we invest in people and minister to them with the hope of bringing them on to our team.  When there is break through in there lives our tendency is to want to bring them up in our ministry and have them join in.  The model we have to understand and follow is Jesus' model for ministry, build up and out.  First build up your own ministry to where it is effective, then send out to extend your ministry beyond the boundaries of what you can reach on your own.
P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's message, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would help me to discern where it is I should keep working, and what area's I should stop so that I might be an effective ministry leader.   I pray Lord also that you help me to know when to strategically release people to the calling on their lives in order to spread out the ministry you have called me and them to.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment