Friday, April 6, 2018

There is none like it (Rich Berry)

March 10, 2018
There is None Like It
Dr. Rich Berry

Scripture: 1 Samuel 21:9 -   The priest replied, “The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the Valley of Elah, is here; it is wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod. If you want it, take it; there is no sword here but that one.”   David said, “There is none like it; give it to me."

Observation: Now David is officially on the run from Saul, who’s only desire is to kill David.  The question that comes to mind and easily answered by many is,  why does Saul hate David so much?  The immediate answer is jealousy because of the attention David captured and his popularity among the people.  The song of Saul kills thousands but David kills tens of thousands sticks out in one’s mind.  But I truly believe it is more than just jealousy — the thought of someone trying to take what you have — or envy, the thought of wanting what someone else has.  Saul is experiencing both!!  Saul knows that David has been chosen to be th next King and fears David will eventually take the throne from Him and all that comes with it.  At this point, all of Saul’s self-respect is caught up in being King.  Saul is also envious of David because David commands what Saul does not have which is a love from the people AND most importantly, Saul knows the Lord loves David and as rejected Saul as King.  Saul is green with envy, but red hot with jealousy.  Now David has left without a weapon and now comes face to face with a priest who knows something is wrong and David asks for a sword and the only one available is the sword of Goliath, which is where much of David’s path began.  David remembers this moment and obviously sees it as being a moment of strength where he placed all of his faith in th eLord and was blessed because of ti, to include the trophy from Golaith (the sword).  David is likely feeliing ficiated right now and experiencing some nostalia as he begins his “exile” from Saul.  

Boy do I see parallels everywhere.  Both for me and my friend Joe who is also experiencing a moment where he is on the outside looking in but also recognized as some who is talented and seems to land on his feet (code word in the secular world as having favor with the Lord).  Dealing with the Sauls of the world is no easy task.  They are jealous and envious people who are willing to do anything to both keep what they have (and not share it with you for fear that you might take it) to being envious and for what they see as you having what they deserve.  Both are very destructive emotions that spell disaster for all who they touch.  There are two questions I must answer: (1) how am I going to deal with a colleague who is experiencing both of these emotions and what I can do about it (2) am I experiencing either one and what do I do about it?

Application: First, how do I deal with yet another toxic leader who is jealous of me because he feels and believes that I might take what he desires to have and still not sure he has — which is tremendous influence and recognition with the boss; how do I deal with his envy of my skill to orchestrate events and engagements because I see what is on the horizon prior to him seeing them as well as the confidence of the rest of the staff to orchestrate that this is indeed the case?  Like David, there is nothing I can do to put my colleagues concerns to rest.  Like David, I have done all I can to make him feel at ease.  I have tried to help him.  I have tried to let him have all the lime-light and nothing has worked.  In fact, it has made the situation worse where he has tried to “crowd” me out and not so he can receive all the credit.  Indeed, the situation continues to worsen.  Then, their is the envy side of the problem where he wants and desires to do my job because that is where the influence actually rests because of the skills the Lord has blessed me with to see the picture that no one else is able to see or to conceptualize and then take actions to benefit from this before it is realized, or what I think of as a kind of prophesy.  Indeed, between the envy and jealousy, both can burn in a way that an individual becomes toxic and self-destructive, and this can easily affect and cause a lot of destruction to everyone it touches.  The long-term affect can be quite devastating.  

What do I do about this situation?  How do I handle Saul?  Rona use to call of my previous bosses “Saul” because of a similar situation, but I think we named him inappropriately.  The previous “Saul” was envious of me but now jealous.  He did not fear I was going to necessarily take anything, but he was not strategic and wanted to be able to initiate what I was able to do, but he was never willing to take any risks.  The previous boss who we named Saul was very envious but not jealous.  This time I have a situation where I am dealing with BOTH!  This is a deadly combination if not handled properly.  I truly believe talking to these type of people about how and what they are feeling solves anything.  These emotions cause a tremendous amount of insecurity and once they are experiencing this there is very little that I can do to fix it.  In fact, like David, I cannot fix a Saul situation.  Actually, I have tried to reach out, be personable, give him credit, allow him to push me out of the way, talk to his superiors about it, and now, not based on any actions of my owm, he is starting to be embarrassed because of his lack of skill and ability.  In fact, it is obvious to most, that I am in complete control of the situation based on how future events are unfolding.  This feels very good to me, and I feel vindicated because of it.  Yet, the tension continues, even though it does not need to be.  So, what do I do?  I know what David faces in the future, which is the opportunity to take Saul out completely when he has the chance, yet David resists because he does not believe it is his place to do so.  I must have the same attitude.  The Lord will deal with my Saul.  Vengeance or vindictiveness to remove the problem is not helpful and just complicates things even more.  David ultimately wins for two reasons, first and foremost, because of his trust in the Lord; David placed his faith there above all else.  Second, David’s competence was obvious to all.  He just wasn’t confident but also popular among the people, but he continued to suffer with Saul and David continued to do the right thing.  He kept winning; he continued to excel in all that he did while Saul lost more and more credibility. David did not try to take Saul out with one action.  He continued to let Saul hang himself as he continued to demonstrate his ability to lead, perform, serve others and again most importantly, keep the faith.  Do the right things for the right reasons…stay away from Saul…let Saul’s actions lead him to destruction, but also pray that if it is the Lord’s will to open his eyes and show him the way.  This is what I am going to do.  Not only did that work with my previous “Saul-like” experience, but later that individual came back and reconciled with me, which made me very happy because I did respect his abilities.  While that is not the case now, I see the glide path that is under way.  I only need to perform brilliantly in all that I endeavor and leave the rest to God.  Ultimately, jealousy and envy are losers and love of God and faith in him are truly the elements that make up the sword that David took and why he said, “there are none like it!"

Prayer: My Father in Heaven, I come to you today as your child looking for help in the form of comfort and a willingness to put me at ease. Lift me up Lord, like you did your servant David.  Lead me and help me to do the things that you have asked me to do each day, for I am weak and you are strong.  I no that I am still not doing all that you have asked, but I am trying and I know you have placed tremendous opportunities at my feet.  I am trying to do my best to push through but know I must follow your lead, first.  Lord, starting today, help me to do that.  Help me do each day what you would have me do.  For you on the beginning and the end, and knowing that I am pleasing you is all that matters.  Your will be done in all things.  Forgive me Lord for my weakness and I praise you for all that I have accomplished and all that you have provided.  Please continue to discipline me gently.  All of this I pray in your name, AMEN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment