Sunday, April 8, 2018

Meditate on all that God has done in your life

Meditate on all that God has done in your life 
S- Psalm 77 NIV
7 “Will the Lord reject forever?  Will he never show his favor again?   8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever?    Has his promise failed for all time? 
 15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. 
 9 Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?”   

10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:    the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. 11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;    yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.   12 I will consider all your works    and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” 13 Your ways, God, are holy.    What god is as great as our God? 14 You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples. 

O - This psalm follows a familiar pattern of crying out to the Lord, wondering if he will rescue or reject, followed by a remembering of who God is and putting faith back into God’s ability to lead and save.   This is a familiar pattern because it is the pattern of the human condition.  Frail and sin affected,   We at times lose faith and hope in the despair of our situations because we forget who our creator, Lord, and savior is.   We humans,  God’s creation,  have only to turn toward Him,  trust in Him, and wait on Him.

A - My own human condition is both predictable, and recoverable.  Yet the knowledge of this does not prevent me from struggling.   I always have to come back to the foot of the cross with repentance for my wavering faith, and wandering heart.   In my 40’s I am facing the real human condition that most males seem to face, a point where I have accomplished most of my youthful goals,  and I have enough physical and financial security that I am questioning my life purpose from here out.    I have gone through a great valley in which I thought God was no longer with me and that my self written purpose was all wrong or impossible.   I am coming out the other side of that experience and working on Finishing Well my Navy career and looking forward to what God has in store for the second half of my life.   The application of the psalm is simply this - go ahead and complain and vent if needed to the Lord about my frustrations and concerns,  but more importantly move on to the next step -  I need to list and remember the deeds of the Lord in my life as this is the proof to a doubting mind that wanders, that God is for me and not against me.   


P - Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for today’s devotion may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord thank you for the reminder to spend time reflecting on all your good works in my life, so that I might restore my hope in you, and not worry of the current circumstances that surround me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment