Monday, November 6, 2017

Feeling under attack all around you


S -psalm 120
1 In my trouble I cried to the Lord, And He answered me.
2 Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, From a deceitful tongue.
3 What shall be given to you, and what more shall be done to you, You deceitful tongue?
4 Sharp arrows of the warrior, With the burning coals of the broom tree.
5 Woe is me, for I sojourn in Meshech, For I dwell among the tents of Kedar!
6 Too long has my soul had its dwelling With those who hate peace.
7 I am for peace, but when I speak, They are for war.

O- My observation at first is that I can relate with the Psalmist here, who is likely David.  Often times in our relationship with the Lord, and living in the world we are amongst great blessings, followed by great trials.  David speaks of how he responded to these trails first by crying out to the Lord to deliver him from the people trying to bring harm to him.  Often times it’s to escape what others intend to harm us with, in this case Sharp arrows burning coals these were likely actual and spiritual battles David faced.  David proclaims he is for peace,  not passivity.   He seeks the peace that comes from God and not the passivity that goes along with following mans ways.

A-The application for me is to look at my situation at work and at home and apply the wisdom of this song to those situations. At home I am facing what feels like a trial with my mom with regard to our relationship and our communication with each other. While I deeply love my mother I know there are scars from my past that come from her, and which are not from God.  It is these things that I am trying to rid myself of that cause the greatest tension between her and I.  When I realize God has changed within me, because it only takes a conversation with her to upset me when I hear words from her that drive me back to the way I was before Christ. I confess my response is passionate and often times angry, but as in the song I feel like the lies my mom speaks, this is the manner in which she has always communicated with me and others, are the arrows in which I am trying to avoid, yet draw out the fight instinct in me, when in my heart I only seek peace with her.  At work, a similar response is elicited from me when coworkers, subordinates, and even superiors speak to me in the manner in which I feel I am being belittled or pushed into a cornerIn which I feel my morals and values, as well as analysis would have me avoid. The common denominator in these two circumstances is  me.   I know there is a lie deep in me which God can reveal and heal.  


P- Dear heavenly father, thank you for today’s message through your servant David. I confess I have this ugly mess inside of me from my past, I confess also that I am a new creation in Christ. However the scars of the past still affect my attitude and actions at times.  Lord I pray for healing and untangling of this broken mess from my past. Whether that be the scars of my father, and mother, or scars of growing up and learning that there are lies and bullies out there.  Lord also help me to have your perspective on situations and not my own, which can be colored by my past scars and anger. Lord I know you are with me and I am thankful for all that you have done in my life for me, and so that I might serve you for the rest of my life. I pray all this in Jesus Christ name,amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment