Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Receiving and responding to God's Vision

S HAB 2:1-3 NASB
I will stand on my guard post And station myself on the rampart; And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me, And how I may reply when I am reproved. Then the Lord answered me and said, "Record the vision And inscribe it on tablets, That the one who reads it may run. "For the vision is yet for the appointed time; It hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; For it will certainly come, it will not delay.

O - Habakkuk was a prophet , who was just before Israel was to be exiled to Babylon and during this time he began seeing who God was and what his intent was for the people.  Here in this passage he waits for the Lord to speak to him about this vision he has had of Israel being exiled and the Lord tells him a few profound things.   1.  Record the vision - for the one who is willing to read it may run.  2.  Wait for the appointed time -  there is no reason to preemptively cause it to occur, just let it run the course and timing God has designed.    Though this somewhat an ominous vision with large consequences to people's lives,  I think there is an more universal truth about God given us visions and his expected response from us.  God often gives us vision but not so that we may take control and make the vision happen.  He is God and is in control, we are not to worry how God will make it happen, just wait for it, and be ready to respond when it does occur.

A - The application for me is different this time.     In the past I have loved this passage because it says write down and vision so that a person may run (which I interpreted as run with the vision).   Today I understand that when God gives me a vision it is not so I can take control of it.  I think the real purpose God gives us vision like Habakkuk got was because he loves us and doesn't want us to worry or be in the wrong place in the vision.   His future is not necessarily for our benefit but always for His glory.  So I must not get caught up in how to benefit from God's vision,  but rather take action to be were God wants me to be in His vision, and all else will be well with my soul.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for you guidance, love, and vision through your spirit and through your word.  I so treasure these daily times in your word, and repent for any slothfulness  that has kept me from doing so.  I pray that you would help me see more of your vision for your Glory in and around my life and help me Lord to take part but not try and take over.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment