Monday, December 9, 2013

Facing my biggest thorn

S- Titus 3:1-11 NASB

Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed, to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men. For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another. But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men. But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. Reject a factious man after a first and second warning, knowing that such a man is perverted and is sinning, being self-condemned.

O -  Paul here is giving advice to the young Christian church on how to behave in their occupations, in their communities, and even in their family of non believers.   While he knows there is new found freedom in Christ, and that their lives have been changed and transformed,  he knows also that their behavior amongst non-believers should be in such a manner that allows for the presentation of the Gospel.    We must not become prideful of our new found freedom as if it was something we earned, but instead are to be humble and in awe of what God has done for us, and serve well those authorities God has placed over us. 

A -  The application for me is to understand that God is shaping me in this season as to my personal behavior that is inconsistent with who he is calling me to be.    My past has shown my disrespect for authorities in my life,   my maligning people whom I disagree with,   being everything but gentle and peaceable.   I used to take pride in the tenacity and intensity in which I would defend what I believed to be good and true.  Now I understand this is not God's will for my life.   I am to behave as Paul has instructed Titus and the church at which he served to behave. 

P  -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's inspiring  and convicting word.   I confess Lord this has been a lifelong problem for me, and that I struggle just as much today as I did when I was younger.     I know lord with you and those you have placed in my life I am to face this area in this season.  I pray Lord you would grant me the wisdom to understand, strength to make a change, and peace to endure the process of being sanctified into the God honoring leader you are calling me to be.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Great devotions hun. Thanks for sharing. Nehemiah was a great leader, & I am reminded by God's Word in Neh. 8:10 of how he endured by meditating on a simple, short phrase: The joy of the LORD is my strength. I think Pastor Wayne's message this past weekend aligns with this devotion, & I pray that the joy of the LORD remains as your constant strength.

    Love,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very nice to post. I always read your blog.. So lovely!!! Egg Manufacturers in Namakkal

    ReplyDelete
  3. he knows also that their behavior amongst non-believers should be in such a manner that allows for the presentation of the Gospel.gtavapk.best

    ReplyDelete