Saturday, November 20, 2010

Remembering the lessons of the Land Between

Remembering the lessons of the Land Between
S - 

2 "You shall remember all the way which the Lord your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.3 "He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.4 
... 
11 "Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes
... 
15 "He led you through the great and terrible wilderness, with its fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty ground where there was no water; He brought water for you out of the rock of flint.16 "In the wilderness He fed you manna which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do good for you in the end.17 "Otherwise, you may say in your heart, 'My power and the strength of my hand made me this wealth.'18 "But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth
       Deut 8:2-4, 11,15-18 (NASB)

O - 
When men possess large estates, or are engaged in profitable business, they find the temptation to pride, forgetfulness of God, and carnal-mindedness, very strong; and they are anxious and troubled about many thingsIn this the believing poor have the advantage; they more easily perceive their supplies coming from the Lord in answer to the prayer of faith; and, strange as it may seem, they find less difficulty in simply trusting him for daily bread. They taste a sweetness therein, which is generally unknown to the rich, while they are also freed from many of their temptations. Forget not God's former dealings with thee. Here is the great secret of Divine Providence. Infinite wisdom and goodness are the source of all the changes and trials believers experience. Israel had many bitter trials, but it was "to do them good." Pride is natural to the human heart. Would one suppose that such a people, after their slavery at the brick-kilns, should need the thorns of the wilderness to humble them? But such is man
        —Matthew Henry Concise
The lessons here are valuable that were experience in the wilderness and dessert.  The people of Israel, spent 40 years in the desert, learning to trust God for his provision, protection, justice, and love.   The nature of man if not daily focused on God, and remembrance of who is will degrade to self reliance, pride, and eventually separation.  This is the repetitive story that has been told since Adam and Eve in the old testament.  Thankfully we have a patient God, who is committed to His promises, and persistent in His pursuit of us.  The ultimate take away is that man's need to rely solely on that which proceeds from the the mouth of God as our sole provision.  The lesson for the Israelites had to be taught in the harshest of environments, so that when they entered the promised land they understand that the dependence still needed to be on the very word of God and not from their own hands.  Provision would be great from the land, and their physical concerns would fade away, but he spiritual battle would rage on with the neighbors and the world as God's people would continue to be a focus of the evil ways of the world.   The people of Israel were the chosen people to be the light to the world, and if that light got extinguished by the surroundings never, would God's plan for redemption of all God's children be possible.  Out of the the nation of Israel , came Christ, the savior of the world, and thus His promise to Abraham to make a great nation from Abraham's seed.  The prophesy remains that Christ will return to judge the world, and restore heaven to earth and thus continue with God's plan for destruction of evil, sin, and death.

A -
God has been leading me all along, since I have acknowledged him as my lord and savior.  He has taken me out of slavery, and first taken me through the land between through the trials, and and the valleys, so that I might learn to trust in Him, and depend on Him.  Today I feel He is sending me into the promised land, and really beginning to use me for His purposes.  For that I am every grateful and ever mindful of the need to follow the lessons outlined in this scripture.  
1.  Remember the lessons from the past -   This is critical to go back and make sure I have captured all that he has taught me during these trials.  For me this means to go back and re-read the devotions and words God has spoke to me make sure I am not backsliding to my old nature, especially in times of great provision and great trial.
2.  Humbly wait of God's provision -   The lesson is one of patience and trust.  Sometimes what we have is sufficient and we desire more.  Sometimes God is growing our trust and reliance on Him by allowing us to wait in need.  In each case we are to humbly wait, not complain to God.   When we seek Him and not His provision, the very word of God , or response to our request will be sufficient to meet our every need.
3. In great provision - guard against pride -  So it will happen, as success, victory, and provision surround me, my family, my ministry, my heart may will begin to rejoice.  The feeling or emotion is enough to allow space for pride to enter my heart.  Pride for what I have done, accomplished,  needs to be replaced with thanksgiving to God for all He has done in my life.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would continue to lead me, my family and your ministry in our lives.   I submit myself to your will, your provision, your guidance, and your discipline so that I might be the servant you need me to be.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment